My major interest in research is within the field of hepatobiliary and pancreatic disorders.
Research into surgical outcomes patients undergoing extended hepatectomy compared to central liver resection. Interests in the role of thermal ablation of liver tumours, and also survival outcomes of patients in the era of effective chemotherapy and aggressive surgical approaches.
Pancreatic Resection Techniques
Interested in methods of reducing the incidence of pancreatic fistula and techniques that reduce rates of delayed gastric emptying (Publication 42).Completed prospective study in examining the impact of Braun entero-enterotomy on delayed gastric emptying and pancreatic fistula (Publication 75).
Outcomes of Pancreaticoduodenectomy
Major interest in surgical outcomes of pancreaticoduodenectomy, in particular more advanced resections including additional organs and major venous resection (Publication 44, 45, 46, 92). Also interested in fast-track surgery after major pancreatic surgery.Compared fast-track surgery technique with standard techniques (Publication 76 and 83).
Pancreatic Cancer Treatment
Involved in a national study reviewing the outcomes of patients treated with borderline resectablepancreatic cancer.I am collaborating with oncology colleagues examining the role of gemcitabine combined with Abraxane for the treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma in a neoadjuvant and more recently adjuvant setting. I am also collaborating in a study assessing circulating tumour DNA as a marker of resectable pancreatic cancer, with colleagues at Royal Melbourne Hospital and Peter McCallum Cancer Center.
Screening for Pancreatic Cancer
Currently the lead investigator in Victoria of a pancreatic cancer screening program to screen individuals considered high risk for developing pancreatic cancer. This is in collaboration with colleagues at St Vincent’s Hospital (NSW) and the Gavan Institute (NSW).
Also, recently examined the association of diabetes and pancreatic cancer by meta-analysis. The study suggested that there may be a role for screening some patients with newly diagnosed diabetes for pancreatic cancer (Publication 91).
Postoperative Fluid Management
Collaborative work is being undertaken with the Department of Anaesthesia to determine optimal fluid management regimens in patients undergoing major liver and pancreas surgery (Publication 94).
The impact of hyperbaric oxygen therapy on patients with severe necrotizing pancreatitis is being assessed. Apilot study was conducted.Treatment appears safe and may reduce disease severity when administered early following initial hospital presentation. (Publication 19).
Research has been conducted into treatment outcomes for peri-ampullarytumours. Particular focus is on the treatment outcomes for patients with ampullary adenocarcinomas. The potential role of local surgical therapies for these tumours is a subject of continuing research. (Publication 1)
Research in outcomes of patients with neuroendocrine pancreatic tumors conducted. Review of a large series of patients with pancreatic insulinomas treated at the Massachusetts general hospital and factors determining disease free recurrence was completed (Publication 34).
Colorectal Liver Metastases
Research into the long term survival of patients with unresectable colorectal liver metastases by laser thermotherapy has been conducted. In the initial series of 80 patients, treatment by laser thermotherapy improved survival, compared to the natural history of untreated disease. (Publication 15) A continuing prospective study is in progress.
Research into survival outcomes of patients in the era of effective chemotherapies and aggressive surgery has also been performed and is continuing (Publication 41).
Management of choledocholithiasis is an area of interest. A prospective study of selective endoscopic retrograde cholangiography in 427 patients with cholelithiasis was conducted. (Publication 14) The role of routine intra-operative cholangiography for the management of uncomplicated cholelithiasis is an area of continuing research. Assessment of outcomes of acute cholecystitis according the severity (Publication 66), age (Submitted) and gender (Publication 74) completed.
Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography
Prospective study of the effects of double wire cannulation on biliary cannulation success rates completed (Publication 82). Outcomes of metallic stenting for palliation of peri-ampullary malignancy published (Publication 69).
Post-Operative Pain Management
Interested in methods to reduce post-operative pain particularly following laparoscopic procedures. Participated in a randomized control trial that examined the efficacy of a depot long acting anaesthetic (Saber Bupivicaine)
I am in interested in methods to reduce surgical site infection, in particular the role of pressurized irrigation devices to reduce wound infections (Publication 47). I am the principle investigator of a recently completed randomized trail assessing the impact of pulse irrigation on wound infections at the Austin and Warringal hospitals.
Diaphragm Pacing Stimulation
I am currently the only surgeon in Australasia that performs diaphragm pacing surgery for spinal cord injury and involved in research in this field (Publication 56 & 61). More recently the diaphragm pacing has been used selectively to prolong and improve quality of life in some patients with motor neurone disease (Publication 98).
A metastatic pancreatic cancer model using murine cells has been characterised in our laboratory (Publication 87). Studies are progress examining the role of P-21 Activated Kinases (PAKs) tin the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer develops as a result of a series of genetic mutations, and progresses from non- invasive tumours to invasive and metastatic cancers. The most frequent mutation, observed in more than 95% of cases, involve the K-Ras gene. The product of the K-Ras gene is a protein of 21 kDa (p21), which binds to and activates PAKs. The PAK family of serine/threonine kinases are not only important in carcinogenesis, but are also major regulators of cytoskeletal dynamics, with significant roles in cell proliferation and motility. PAKs are therefore an attractive therapeutic target, as PAK inhibitors should simultaneously block multiple pathways. We have for the first time published that reduction of PAK activity using a non-selective PAK inhibitor increases the sensitivity of PDAC to gemcitabine chemotherapy in vitro and in vivo (Publication 90). Ongoing studies are in progress to examine the role of PAKs (particularly PAK1 and PAK4) in the development, growth, chemosensitivity and survival of pancreatic cancer. This work is the subject of future major grant applications. . We plan to perform in vitro and in vivo studies with selective PAK1 and PAK4 inhibitors. In addition, as tumour-stroma interactions are extremely important in the development and progression of pancreatic cancer, these will be examined by utilisation of unique PAK knock-out murine models. The studies proposed in this application will elucidate the effects of targeting individual PAKs on the development and growth of pancreatic cancer, and may lead to the development of improved drug treatments. We are also collaborating the Garvan Institute NSW to look at the role of PAKs in the development of pancreatic cancer.
I have continuing involvement with pancreas cancer research in Australia, being a member of the Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative (APCGI). Several pivotal publications have arisen form this collaborative effort (Publications 78,79,80,102)
A rat model of acute severe pancreatitis was developed and characterized. The histological features of disease in this model are similar to the human situation. This involves retrograde injection of 4% Sodium Taurocholate into the biliopancreatic duct, under controlled pressure, to produce severe necrotizing pancreatitis. This model has been used to assess the effects of various therapies on the development of severe acute pancreatitis.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for the Treatment of Acute Severe Pancreatitis. Preliminary studies have been conducted into the potential use of hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy to reduce the severity of severe acute pancreatitis. Compared to control animals with severe acute pancreatitis, HBO therapy appears to decrease pancreatitis severity and improve survival. Several studies have been completed and published.
Colorectal Liver Metastases
A mouse model of colorectal liver metastases has been used to research different treatment strategies for colorectal liver metastases. The model involves intrasplenic injection of a mouse derived colon cancer tumour line to induce liver metastases in CBA strain mice. The model closely resembles the human situation and has been characterized in terms of tumour growth patterns, blood vessel characteristics, histology and expression of various angiogenic markers. Direct comparisons to human colorectal liver metastases, in terms of histology and microvasculature have been undertaken. (Publication 11).
Interstitial Laser Thermotherapy of Liver Tumours. There is growing interest in the use of thermal ablation for the treatment of liver tumours. The mechanisms of tumour ablation by laser thermotherapy have been investigated in the previously described murine model of colorectal liver metastases. This has involved assessment of tumour injury following laser application by histology, immunohistochemistry and histochemical vital staining techniques. The effect of therapy on tumour microvasculature has been assessed by Laser Doppler Flowmetry, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Confocal in-vivo microscopy and oxygen fluorescence quenching techniques. The role of blood flow occlusion in the patterns of laser injury has been investigated. In addition, potential tumour growth promoting effects of thermal injury has been demonstrated. (Publications 4, 11, 12, 17, 20, 23, 24, 26-28)
Vascular Targeting of Colorectal Liver Tumours. The importance of tumour blood flow to the development of colorectal liver metastases and as a potential target for therapeutic interventions is a major research focus. The effect of thalidomide, as an anti-angiogenic agent, on the growth of colorectal liver metastases has been investigated. (Publications 22) Minor growth reducing effects have been shown. Several anti-tubulin binding agents that target intact tumour vasculature have been investigated and are under continuing research. These include Combretastatin A4 Phosphate Prodrug (Combretastatin A4P) and its derivatives and a recently developed agent, CYT997, showing major anti-tumour effects. In addition, macromolecular chemotherapeutic agents that are retained in tumours due the leakiness of tumour vessels and enhanced retention (Enhanced Permeability and Retention effect) have been investigated.
Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. The potential synergistic use of reactive oxygen species (ROS) producing chemotherapeutics (SMA- Pirarubicin) and hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy has been investigated for the treatment of colorectal liver metastases, with promising results. Further studies into the effects of ROS and HBO on turmour growth are in progress.
Liver Regeneration and Tumour Growth. A novel technique of liver resection in mice was developed and used to asses the effects of liver regeneration on the growth of colorectal liver metastases. (Publication 16) Following major liver resection growth promoting effects have been demonstrated, including increased incidence of extrahepatic tumour spread. The mechanisms involved in the growth promoting effects are under investigation.
Ischameia Perfusion Study
Currently involved in a study examining the neuronal changes that occur as result of small bowel ischaemia utilizing human tissues obtained at the time of major pancreatic surgery. The role of nitric Oxide in enteric ischemic damage is being assessed.
Studies examining the examining the role of targeting the mTOR pathway in biliary tract carcinoma is ongoing in collaboration with Prof J Mariadason at the Olivia Newton John Cancer institute.
"The Effect of Laser Induced Thermal Ablation on Liver Tumours"
Doctorate of Philosophy by Thesis, University of Melbourne
Laser thermal ablation (LTA) is an in situ ablative technique that induces heat destruction of liver tumours. Despite increasing clinical use of LTA, reports of long-term outcomes and limitation of treatment in specific cohorts of patients with liver tumours are lacking. In addition, the mechanisms of action of therapy have not been fully elucidated.
This study highlights the long-term clinical results and limitations of LTA in the treatment of a cohort of patients with unresectable colorectal liver metastases and examines the mechanisms of action thermal ablative injury in a murine model.
In 80 patients with unresectable colorectal cancer (CRC) liver metastases treated by LTA using Nd-YAG laser (wavelength 1064 nm) with ultrasound real-time monitoring, long-term treatment efficacy was assessed. Patients were selected based on the following criteria: (1) Disease confined to the liver (2) Unsuitable for complete surgical resection due to anatomical location of tumours or the extent of hepatic involvement (3) Maximum of five tumours and (4) Tumour diameter not exceeding 10 cm.
The mechanism of thermal ablative injury was assessed in a murine model of colorectal liver metastases. Laser (2 Watts for 50 seconds) was applied to the liver and tumours in CBA strain mice. Tissue injury was assessed at varying time points ranging from immediately following injury to 21 days thereafter. The extent of thermal injury was assessed histochemically by a vital stain for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) diaphorase. Tissue sections were also studied by immunohistochemistry for apoptosis, Kupffer cell response and heat shock protein 70 (HSP 70) expression. Microvascular damage was assessed at various time points by scanning electron microscopy, Laser Doppler flowmetry and confocal in-vivo microscopy.
Potential growth promoting effects of laser therapy on micrometastases was assessed following 30% liver volume ablation in animals bearing microscopic colorectal liver metastases. The volume of tumour growth in the regenerating ablated liver lobe was compared to untreated lobes and controls by tumour stereology. Tumour proliferation was determined by immunohistochemistry for Ki67 antigen. The effect of thermal ablation was assessed in a separate group of animals on the induction of angiogenic factors, Vascular endothelial Growth factor (VEGF), Fibroblast growth factor (FGF), and Transforming Growth factor B (TGF beta) was assessed by immunohistochemistry.
In our clinical study of 80 patients, 168 liver tumours were treated by LTA with a median diameter of 5 cm (range 1 – 10 cm) without any procedure related deaths. The overall complication rate was 16%, with all cases managed conservatively. Complete tumour ablation was achieved in 67% of patients. Sixty-seven deaths occurred and were related to hepatic recurrences in 55 cases, extrahepatic disease in 9 patients and unrelated to malignancy in 3 others. The median survival of patients treated by LTA was 35 months, with a 5-year survival of 6.7%.
Thermal ablation produces direct lethal thermal injury followed by indirect progressive tissue damage beyond the initial thermal effects. Normal liver and tumour tissue respond differently to thermal ablation. In tumour tissue the direct injury is more pronounced, while the progression of injury is more rapid and extensive in liver. In liver, the peak volume of necrosis occurred at 3 days, while in tumour tissue the peak was at 4.5 days.
Increased apoptotic response was noted at 12 hours following thermal injury and remained elevated until 72 hours in tumour tissue. HSP 70 expression was most pronounced in tumour tissue and remained elevated for 72 hours following therapy. Stimulation of Kupffer cell activity occurred in both liver and tumour tissue. The increase in Kupffer cell activity is earlier and greater in liver tissue. Progressive microvascular injury was observed following thermal ablation in both liver and tumour tissue and at times preceded the tissue injury.
In animals with micrometastases, 30% ablation of liver volume by laser produced an increase in percentage of tumours in the regenerating lobe, without an overall increase in tumour load or extrahepatic spread. Following thermal ablation, there was increased local expression of VEGF and FGF in liver and increased expression of VEGF, FGF and TGF in tumour adjacent to the treatment site.
Overall, treatment of selected patients with liver tumours by LTA appears to achieve long-term survival. There is however a high incidence of local tumour recurrence due to incomplete tumour destruction and regional and extrahepatic tumour recurrences. Thermal ablation by laser produces direct injury followed by indirect effects that results in progressive tissue damage and involves interplay of several factors. Thermal ablation by laser appears to have local tumour promoting effects, possibly related to increased induction of several angiogenic factors. Manipulation of the processes involved in laser induced tumour destruction may further ensure complete tumour destruction and reduce local and distal recurrences.
- 2022 PANKIND – “Reprogramming the tumour microenvironment of pancreatic cancer to improve response to therapy.” 25/11/2021 to 25/11/2023 Multicenter: Poh A, Ernst M, Nikfarjam M (AI), Gibbs P, Shi W. $259,316
- 2022 Austin Medical Research Foundation at Austin Health (AMRF)– “Role of CXCL5 in therapeutic response to pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $20,000
- 2021 MRFF: Rare Cancers, Rare Diseases and Unmet Need Grant Opportunity – “SCANPatient: Synoptic reporting of CT scans assessing cancer of the pancreas.” Monash University. Nikfarjam M (AI). $2,970,301.10
- 2020 AMRF – “Therapeutic effect of combination of cannabis with immune checkpoint inhibitor on pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $15,000
- 2020 University of Melbourne Seeding Grant – “Combination effect of cannabis with immune checkpoint inhibitor on pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $25,000
- 2020 Tour De Cure/ Pancare Foundation – “Improving the pancreatic cancer outcomes through novel treatment targets.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $200,000
- 2019 Pancare Foundation – “Improving the treatment of pancreatic cancer by novel treatment targets including studying the role of cannabinoids.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $150,000
- 2018 University of Melbourne Grant Scheme – “To determine the role of P21-activated kinases (PAKs) in the development of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $50,000
- 2018 AMRF – “The role of P21-activated kinases in the development of pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $12,500
- 2017 Avner Foundation Innovation Grant – “Utilising a novel predictor to stratify patients with therapy-resistant pancreatic cancer for treatment with CHK inhibitor drugs to improve responses and outcomes.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $96,986
- 2016-2017 Pancare Foundation – “Improving the treatment of pancreatic cancer by novel treatment targets.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $419,356
- 2016 NHMRC – “Overcoming therapeutic resistance in pancreatic cancer.” Putoczki T (CIA), Nikfarjam M (AI). $924,901
- 2015 Pancare Foundation – “Accelerating research into the treatment of pancreatic cancer by use of novel agents. Baldwin G, Nikfarjam M (CI). $100,000
- 2015 AMRF – “PAK as a prognostic marker in pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $15,000
- 2014 Sir Edward Dunlop Medical Research Foundation Grant – “Role of P21-activated kinases (PAK) in pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $20,000
- 2014 Victorian Cancer Agency – “Targeting the mTOR pathway in biliary tract carcinoma.” Mariadason J (CIA), Nikfarjam M (CI), Tebbutt N, Croagh D, Sierber O. $641,000
- 2013 AMRF – “Role of P21-activated kinases (PAK) in determining sensitivity of pancreatic carcinoma to gemcitabine chemotherapy.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $18,000
- 2012 AMRF – “Role of PAK in pancreatic cancer.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $15,000
- 2010 Early Career Grant: University of Melbourne – “Wound irrigation study.” Nikfarjam M (CI). $20,000
Peer Reviewed Grants prior to 2009:
- 2006 Anti-cancer Council of Australia Project Grant – “Treatment of liver tumours by thermal ablation.” Christophi C, Muralidharan V, Shulkes A, Nikfarjam M.
- 2006 University of Melbourne Research Grant – “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of acute severe pancreatitis.” Christophi C, Millar I, Muralidharan V, Shulkes A, Nikfarjam M.
- 2005 University of Melbourne Research Grant – “Treatment of liver tumours by thermal ablation.” Christophi C, Muralidharan V, Shulkes A, Nikfarjam M.
- 2005 AstraZeneca Project Grant – “The mechanisms of focal hyperthermia on colorectal cancer liver metastases.” Christophi C, Nikfarjam M.
- 2004 Austin Hospital Medical Research Foundation (AHMRF) – “Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of severe pancreatitis.” Christophi C, Nikfarjam M.
- 2002-2004 Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Surgeon Scientist Scholarship – “Treatment of liver tumours.” Nikfarjam M.
- 2003 Equity Trustees - Harold Brennen Foundation – “Treatment of liver tumours by focal hyperthermia.” Christophi C, Nikfarjam M.
- 2003 Jack Brockhoff Foundation – “Treatment of liver tumours.” Christophi C, Nikfarjam M.
- Reduction in Post-Operative Pancreatic Fistula with Polyethylene Glycol and Recombinant Human Albumin Sealant Following Stapled Distal Pancreatectomy. MyHPB 2021 Virtual Congress 13-15 August 2021
- Inhibition of PAK1 suppresses pancreatic cancer by stimulation of anti- tumor immunity through down-regulation of PD-L1. International “PAK” Symp. NY, NY, USA. (12 Oct) 2019.
- Exploring cannabis medicines for pancreatic cancer treatment. UIC Australian Medical Cannabis Symposium. (22nd -24th Mar) 2019. (Invited talk)
- PanCO: An open-label, single-arm pilot study of phosphorus-32 (P-32; Oncosil) microparticles in patients with unresectable locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma (LAPC) in combination with FOLFIRINOX or gemcitabine + nab-paclitaxel (GNP) chemotherapies. ASCO USA 2019.
- A novel predictor for stratifying pancreatic cancer patients to DNA damage checkpoint inhibitors. 25th Biennial Congress of the European Association for Cancer Research. Amsterdam, Netherlands 2018.
- Outcomes of central hepatectomy versus extended hepatectomy. ANZHPBA Meeting. 2017.
- Fluid optimisation algorithm improves outcomes in patients undergoing pancreatico-duodenctomy: a prospective multicentre randomised controlled trial. Pancreas Club. Chicago, USA 2017.
- Potential role of circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) in the early diagnosis and postoperative management of localised pancreatic cancer. ASCO. USA 2017.
- Inhibition of p21 activated kinases enhances chemo-therapeutic effects of multiple reagents on patient’s derived pancreatic cancer cell lines. Precision Cancer Biology from Targeted to Immune Therapies. Cold Spring Harbor Asia, Suzhou, China (18th-22nd Sept) 2017.
- Targeting PAK1 in Pancreatic Stellate Cells increases pancreatic cancer survival. Pancreas. Glasgow, UK (9th-12th Jun) 2016.
- Targeting PAK1 in Pancreatic Stellate Cells increases pancreatic cancer survival. Pancreas Club. San Diego, USA (20th-21st May) 2016.
- Age 80 years and over is not associated with increased morbidity and mortality following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Ms Sandy Kim. Australasian Pancreatic Club. 1(2-13th Nov) 2016.
- Combination of pan-PAK inhibitor (PF3758309) with gemcitabine synergistically reduce PDAC growth and migration. Dr Kai Wang. Australasian Pancreatic Club. (12-13th Nov) 2016.
- Targeting PAK1 in pancreatic cancer stellate cells increases survival Gastro GESA-AGW & WGO Internal Congress. 2015.
- Pancreatic cancer. Gastro GESA-AGW & WGO Internal Congress. 2015. (Congress session Chair)
- A p21-activated kinase 1 Inhibitor, FRAX-597, combined with gemcitabine synergistically inhibits the growth of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Australasian Pancreas Club. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2014.
- Impact of a surgery-specific goal directed therapy protocol in reducing major complications in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple’s procedure). Australia & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists ASM and Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress. Sans Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore (5-9th May) 2014.
- Sodium bicarbonate infusion does not prevent acute kidney injury in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation: a single-centre prospective phase 2 blinded randomized controlled trial. Australia & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists ASM and Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Congress. Sans Expo and Convention Centre, Singapore (5-9th May) 2014.
- Liberal fluid intervention and positive fluid balance affect length of hospital stay following pancreaticoduodenectomy. Australian & New Zealand College of Anesthetists Annual Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Program Reduces Length of Stay Following Uncomplicated Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Australian & New Zealand College of Anesthetists Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 2013.
- Analgesia practice for pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple’s Procedure): Is it time to reconsider epidurals? Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Annual Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- A multicentre randomized double-blind controlled non-inferiority multicentre study of Plasmalyte vs. Compound Lactate Solution in patients undergoing liver resection. Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists Annual Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- Glaucorubinone for the treatment of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Australasian Pancreas Club. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- Potential role of PAK4 in treatment of pancreatic cancer. Australasian Pancreas Club. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- Association of diabetes mellitus and pancreatic adenocarcinoma- a meta-analysis of 86 studies. Australasian Pancreas Club. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2013.
- Advances in pancreatic surgery. Australasian Pancreas Club. VIC, AUS 2013. (Invited talk)
- A novel p21-activated kinase 1 inhibitor, Glaucarubinone, combined with Gemcitabine synergistically inhibits the growth of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Pancreas Club, Orlando, Florida, USA 2013.
- Fast track recovery following pancreaticoduodectomy. Australia and New Zealand Pancreas Club. SA, AUS 2012.
- Fluid sparing regimens in surgery. Perioperative medicine Conference -ANZCA Annual Meeting. NSW, AUS 2012. (Invited talk)
- Laparoscopic ligation of common hepatic artery to precondition liver and stomach prior to radical distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy with enbloc resection of the celiac axis for locally advanced pancreatic body/ tail tumors. APHPBA. AUS 2011.
- Update in NOTES cholecystectomy. APHPBA. AUS 2011. (Invited talk)
- Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy. APHPBA. AUS 2011. (Invited talk)
- Management of duodenal diverticulum. APHPBA. AUS 2011. (Invited talk)
- Outcomes of contemporary management of gangrenous and non-gangrenous acute cholecystitis. DDW. USA 2011.
- The effect of surgical volume and the provision of residency and fellowship training on complications of major hepatic resection. AHPBA/IHPBA. Buenos Aires, Argentina 2010.
- Peri-pancreatic Castleman’s disease. Annual Academic Surgical Congress. Phoenix, AZ, USA 2009.
- Additional organ resection combined with pancreaticoduodenectomy does not increase post-operative morbidity and mortality. Miami Beach, FL, USA 2009.
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy in patients with a history of Roux-en Y gastric bypass surgery. Pancreas Club. USA
- Examination of the local inflammatory response of NOTES (Natural Orifice Translumenal Endoscopic Surgery) versus laparoscopy utilizing both carbon dioxide and room air in a porcine model. Phoenix, AZ, USA 2009.
- The diagnostic efficacy of natural orifice endoscopic surgery (NOTES): Is there a role in the intensive care unit? Phoenix, AZ, USA 2009.
- Reduction of surgical site infections by use of pulsatile lavage irrigation device after prolonged intra-abdominal operative procedures. Annual Academic Surgical Congress. Fort Meyer, FL, USA 2009.
- Reduced delayed gastric emptying with non-pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy and antecolic gastrojejunal anastomosis. American Pancreatic Association. Chicago, IL, USA
- Combined pancreaticoduodenectomy and right hemicolectomy – outcomes and indications. American Pancreatic Association. Chicago, IL, USA 2008.
- Magnetic resonance imaging is a powerful tool for characterizing the impact of radiofrequency ablation in a murine model of spontaneous hepatocellular cancer. AHBPA. Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA 2008.
- Surgical management of liver metastasis. Advances in the Management of Colorectal Cancer.Colorectal Cancer Symposium. Pennsylvania, USA 2008. (Invited lecture)
- Alloderm Mesh: an innovative tool for diaphragmatic reconstruction in patients with large retroperitoneal sarcomas. Association for Academic Surgery (AAS), 3rdAnnual Acad Surgical Congress. Huntington Beach, CA, USA 2008.
- Surgical outcomes of patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors in the era of target drug therapy. DDW. USA 2008.
- Immunologic ignorance and tolerance both play a role in hepatic tumorigenesis. DDW. USA 2008.
- Contemporary Surgical Management of Insulinomas: A 25-year Experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital. American Pancreatic Association. USA 2007.
- Hyperbaric oxygen reduces morbidity and mortality in severe acute pancreatitis. International Conference on Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine. Barcelona, Spain 2005.
- Altered patterns of tumor growth following focal hyperthermia. DDW. Chicago, USA 2005.
- Oxi4503 for the treatment of colorectal liver metastases. AGW. Brisbane, AUS 2004.
- Thalidomide for the treatment of colorectal liver metastases. AGW. Brisbane, AUS 2004.
- Mechanisms of liver tumour ablation by focal hyperthermia. AASLD. Boston, USA 2004.
- Improved Survival following interstitial laser thermotherapy for the treatment of unrespectable colorectal liver metastases. AASLD, Boston, USA 2004.
- A new miceller anticancer drug: In vivo and in vitro evaluation of SMA-Pirarubicin micelles. Controlled Release Ann Society Meeting. USA 2004.
- SMA-Pirarubicin and combined with hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Conference. Sydney, AUS 2004.
National and State
- Animal models in pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer; Registries, Trials and Translational Research. Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, Melbourne, VIC, AUS (19th Jul) 2017.
- The role of p-21-activated kinases in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma, University of Melbourne, Royal Melbourne Hospital. Melbourne, VIC, AUS (9th Nov) 2016.
- P-21 activated kinase inhibition for the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Sir Edward Dunlop Symposium. Austin Health, Melbourne, VIC, AUS (26th Oct) 2016.
- P-21 activated kinase inhibition combined with chemotherapy improves treatment of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. University of Melbourne Research Seminar. Melbourne, VIC, AUS (6th Oct) 2015.
- Familial pancreatic cancer screening. Familial Cancer Center Symposium. Peter MacCallum Cancer Center, Melbourne, AUS (27th Jul) 2015. (Invited talk)
- Pancreatic cancer Interactive session. 6th Annual Cook Medical Pancreatico-Biliary Workshop. Sydney, NSW, AUS 2015. (Panel)
- P21-activated kinases for the treatment of pancreatic cancer. Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sci Pancreatic Mini Symposium. Melbourne, VIC, AUS 2015 (8 Apr). (Invited talk)
- Pancreatic cyst management guidelines – (Panel). 5th Annual Cook Medical Pancreatico-Biliary Workshop. Sydney, NSW, AUS 2014. (Invited talk)
- A multifaceted approach to taking up the challenge against pancreatic cancer. Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative. Garvan Institute, NSW, AUS 2014. (Invited talk)
- Pancreatic Neuroendocrine liver metastases – a management approach. Victorian Endocrine Meeting. St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne, AUS 2013. (Invited talk)
- Cystic Tumours of the pancreas. 4th Annual Cook Medical Pancreatico-Biliary Workshop. Sydney, NSW, AUS 2013. (Invited talk)
- Management of pancreatic pseudocysts. 3rd Annual Cook Medical Pancreatico-Biliary Workshop. Sydney, NSW, AUS 2013. (Invited talk)
- Current management of colorectal liver metastases. Roche Medical. Melbourne, AUS 2010. (Invited talk)
- NOTES – A note of caution. Gut Club. Melbourne, AUS 2010. (Invited talk)
- Specialist Surgeon versus Generalist. Victorian Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, AUS 2010. (Invited talk)
- Career development – training in the USA. Victorian Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, AUS 2010. (Invited talk)
- NOTES in HPB Surgery. Langham Meeting. Melbourne, AUS 2009. (Invited talk)
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of acute severe pancreatitis. Cabrini Institute. Melbourne, AUS 2004.
- SMA-Pirarubicin for the treatment of colorectal liver metastases. RACS Victorian Annual Scientific Meeting. Bendigo, AUS 2004.
- “Progressive necrosis occurs independent of thermal effects following laser thermal ablation”. Annual Scientific Meeting. Melbourne, AUS 2003.
- Management of ampullary tumours. Gut Club. Melbourne, AUS 2002.
- The role of endoscopic ultrasound in the treatment of ampullary tumours of the duodenum. Cabrini Institute. Melbourne, AUS 2000.
- The role of local resection in the treatment of ampullary tumours of the duodenum. RACS Victorian Annual Scientific meeting. Shepperton, AUS 2000.
Complete List of Research Articles and Reviews (* please note that all are peer-reviewed):
- Gupta S, Brown K, Lott N, Carroll R, Burnett D, Nikfarjam M. Prospective multicentre randomised controlled trial of the effect of Braun Enteroenterostomy in the Reconstruction after Pancreaticoduodenectomy on delayed gastric emptying (DGE): protocol for the BERP study. BMJ Open. 2022 Dec 12;12(12):e068452. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2022-068452. PMID: 36523248
- Walpole I, Lee B, Shapiro J, Thomson B, Lipton L, Ananda S, Usatoff V, Mclachlan SA, Knowles B, Fox A, Wong R, Cooray P, Burge M, Clarke K, Pattison S, Nikfarjam M, Tebbutt N, Harris M, Nagrial A, Zielinski R, Chee CE, Gibbs P. Use and outcomes from neoadjuvant chemotherapy in borderline resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma in an Australasian population. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2023 Feb;19(1):214-225. doi: 10.1111/ajco.13807. Epub 2022 Jul 13. PMID: 35831999
- Santucci J, Tacey M, Thomson B, Michael M, Wong R, Shapiro J, Jennens R, Clarke K, Pattison S, Burge M, Zielinski R, Nikfarjam M, Ananda S, Lipton L, Gibbs P, Lee B. Impact of first-line FOLFIRINOX versus Gemcitabine/Nab-Paclitaxel chemotherapy on survival in advanced pancreatic cancer: Evidence from the prospective international multicentre PURPLE pancreatic cancer registry Eur J Cancer. 2022 Oct;174:102-112. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2022.06.042. Epub 2022 Aug 18. PMID: 35988408
- Weinberg L, Ratnasekara V, Tran AT, Kaldas P, Neal-Williams T, D'Silva MR, Hua J, Yip S, Lloyd-Donald P, Fletcher L, Ma R, Perini MV, Nikfarjam M, Lee DK. The Association of Postoperative Complications and Hospital Costs Following Distal Pancreatectomy. Front Surg. 2022 May 30;9:890518. doi: 10.3389/fsurg.2022.890518. eCollection 2022. PMID: 35711711
- Poh AR, O'Brien M, Chisanga D, He H, Baloyan D, Traichel J, Dijkstra C, Chopin M, Nutt S, Whitehead L, Boon L, Parkin A, Lowell C, Pajic M, Shi W, Nikfarjam M, Ernst M. Inhibition of HCK in myeloid cells restricts pancreatic tumor growth and metastasis Cell Rep. 2022 Oct 11;41(2):111479. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2022.111479.
- Kazemi SY, Jafari A, Rabiei L, Nikfarjam M, Omidi M, Masoudi R. Radiofrequency Ablation Versus Repeat Hepatectomy for Recurrent Hepatocellular Carcinoma: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis World J Surg. 2022 Nov;46(11):2778-2787. doi: 10.1007/s00268-022-06691-x. Epub 2022 Aug 21.
- Fan GH, Zhang CZ, Gao FQ, Wei XY, Ling SB, Wang K, Wang JG, Zheng SS, Nikfarjam M, Xu X. A mixed blessing for liver transplantation patients - Rapamycin. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2023 Feb;22(1):14-21. doi: 10.1016/j.hbpd.2022.10.004. Epub 2022 Oct 20.
- Zhang W, Weinberg L, Asadi K, Nikfarjam M. Gallbladder-associated ectopic liver tissue during cholecystectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2023 Apr;93(4):1079-1081. doi: 10.1111/ans.18111. Epub 2022 Oct 11.
- Ma Y, Nikfarjam M, He H. The trilogy of P21 activated kinase, autophagy and immune evasion in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma Cancer Lett. 2022 Nov 1;548:215868. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2022.215868. Epub 2022 Aug 24.
- Yu C, Lokan J, Jackett L, Nikfarjam M, Mills C. Intraductal tubulopapillary neoplasm. BMJ Case Rep. 2022 Dec 22;15(12):e246398. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2021-246398.
- Ross PJ, Wasan HS, Croagh D,Nikfarjam M, Nguyen N, Aghmesheh M, Nagrial AM, Bartholomeusz D, Hendlisz A, Ajithkumar T, Iwuji C, Wilson NE, Turner DM, James DC, Young E, Harris MT. Results of a single-arm pilot study of32P microparticles in unresectable locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma with gemcitabine/nab-paclitaxel or FOLFIRINOX chemotherapy. ESMO Open. 2022; 7(1): 100356.
- Issa M, Naazar A, Goh SK, Asadi K,Nikfarjam M, Lee E. Giant pseudosarcomatous polyp of the gallbladder. ANZ J Surg. 2022 Feb 22. doi: 10.1111/ans.17570. Online ahead of print.
- He H, Dumesny C, Ang CS, Dong L, Ma Y, Zeng J,Nikfarjam M. A novel PAK4 inhibitor suppresses pancreatic cancer growth and enhances the inhibitory effect of gemcitabine. Transl Oncol. 2022; 16: 101329.
- Dreyer SB, Upstill-Goddard R, Legrini A, Biankin AV; Glasgow Precision Oncology Laboratory, Jamieson NB, Chang DK; Australian Pancreatic Genome Initiative, Jamieson NB, Chang DK. Genomic and molecular analyses identify molecular subtypes of pancreatic cancer recurrence. Gastroenterology. 2022; 162(1): 320-4.
- Privett BJ, Perini MV, Weinberg L, Fink MA, Muralidharan V, Lee E, Starkey G, Jones R, Lin YJ,Nikfarjam M. Reduction in post-operative pancreatic fistula with polyethylene glycol and recombinant human albumin sealant following stapled distal pancreatectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2021; 91(11): 2459-65.
- Murali K, Dwarte TM, Nikfarjam M, Tucker KM, Vaughan RB, Efthymiou M, Collins A, Spigelman AD, Salmon L, Johns AL, Williams DB, Delatycki MB, John T, Stoita A. Correction to: Significant detection of new germline pathogenic variants in Australian Pancreatic Cancer Screening Program participants. Hered Cancer Clin Pract. 2021 Sep 8;19(1):37.
- Murali K, Dwarte TM,Nikfarjam M, Tucker KM, Vaughan RB, Efthymiou M, Collins A, Spigelman AD, Salmon L, Johns AL, Williams DB, Delatycki MB, John T, Stoita A. Significant detection of new germline pathogenic variants in Australian Pancreatic Cancer Screening Program participants. Hered Cancer Clin Pract. 2021; 19(1): 33.
- Maharaj AD, Evans SM, Ioannou LJ, Croagh D, Earnest A, Holland JF, Pilgrim CHC, Neale RE, Goldstein D, Kench JG, Merrett ND, White K, Burmeister EA, Evans PM, Hayes TM, Houli N, Knowles B, Leong T,Nikfarjam M, Philip J, Quinn M, Shapiro J, Smith MD, Spillane JB, Wong R, Zalcberg JR. The association between quality care and outcomes for a real-world population of Australian patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. HPB (Oxford). 2021 Nov 16: S1365-182X(21)01700-7.
- Liu D, Sharbeen G, Phillips P; Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative, Ford CE. ROR1 and ROR2 expression in pancreatic cancer. BMC Cancer. 2021; 21(1): 1199.
- Dreyer SB, Upstill-Goddard R, Paulus-Hock V, Paris C, Lampraki EM, Dray E, Serrels B, Caligiuri G, Rebus S, Plenker D, Galluzzo Z, Brunton H, Cunningham R, Tesson M, Nourse C, Bailey UM, Jones M, Moran-Jones K, Wright DW, Duthie F, Oien K, Evers L, McKay CJ, McGregor GA, Gulati A, Brough R, Bajrami I, Pettitt S, Dziubinski ML, Candido J, Balkwill F, Barry ST, Grützmann R, Rahib L; Glasgow Precision Oncology Laboratory,; Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative (Nikfarjam M), Morton JP, Sansom OJ, Bailey PJ, Biankin AV, Chang DK. Targeting DNA Damage Response and Replication Stress in Pancreatic Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2021; 160(1): 362-77.
- Yang Y, Huynh N, Dumesny C, Wang K, He H,Nikfarjam M. Cannabinoids Inhibited Pancreatic Cancer via P-21 Activated Kinase 1 Mediated Pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21(21): 8035.
- Cheung E, Nikfarjam M, Jackett L, Bolton DM, Ischia J, Patel O. The protective effect of zinc against liver ischaemia reperfusion injury in a rat model of global ischaemia. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2020; 10(3): 228-35.
- Brunton H, Caligiuri G, Cunningham R, Upstill-Goddard R, Bailey UM, Garner IM, Nourse C, Dreyer S, Jones M, Moran-Jones K, Wright DW, Paulus-Hock V, Nixon C, Thomson G, Jamieson NB, McGregor GA, Evers L, McKay CJ, Gulati A, Brough R, Bajrami I, Pettitt SJ, Dziubinski ML, Barry ST, Grützmann R, Brown R, Curry E; Glasgow Precision Oncology Laboratory; Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative (Nikfarjam M), Pajic M, Musgrove EA, Petersen GM, Shanks E, Ashworth A, Crawford HC, Simeone DM, Froeling FEM, Lord CJ, Mukhopadhyay D, Pilarsky C, Grimmond SE, Morton JP, Sansom OJ, Chang DK, Bailey PJ, Biankin AV. HNF4A and GATA6 loss reveals therapeutically actionable subtypes in pancreatic cancer. Cell Rep. 2020; 31(6): 107625.
- Wang K, Zhan Y, Huynh N, Dumesny C, Wang X, Asadi K, Herrmann D, Timpson P, Yang Y, Walsh K, Baldwin GS, Nikfarjam M, He H. Inhibition of PAK1 suppresses pancreatic cancer by stimulation of anti-tumour immunity through down-regulation of PD-L1. Cancer Lett. 2020; 472: 8-18.
- Lee DK, Frye A, Louis M, Koshy AN, Tosif S, Yii M, Ma R,Nikfarjam M, Perini MV, Bellomo R, Weinberg L. Postoperative complications and hospital costs following small bowel resection surgery. PLoS One. 2020; 15(10): e0241020.
- Fazio Coles TE, Fothergill LJ, Hunne B, Nikfarjam M, Testro A, Callaghan B, McQuade RM, Furness JB. Quantitation and chemical coding of enteroendocrine cell populations in the human jejunum. Cell Tissue Res. 2020; 379(1): 109-20.
- Efthymiou M, Chandran S, Zorron Cheng Tao Pu L, Collins A, Rajadurai A,Nikfarjam M, Vaughan R. Outcomes of endoscopic ultrasound as a one-off pancreatic cancer screening tool for 122 high- and moderate-risk patients. JGH Open. 2020; 4(6): 1217-23.
- Chen H, Jorissen R, Walcott J, Nikfarjam M. Incidence and predictors of common bile duct stones in patients with acute cholecystitis: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. ANZ J Surg. 2020; 90(9): 1598-603.
- Pilgrim CHC, Te Marvelde L, Stuart E, Croagh D, Deutscher D, Nikfarjam M, Lee B, Christophi C. Population-based analysis of treatment patterns and outcomes for pancreas cancer in Victoria. ANZ J Surg. 2020; 90(9): 1677-82.
- Weinberg L, Ianno D, Churilov L, Mcguigan S, Mackley L, Banting J, Shen SH, Riedel B,Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Goal directed fluid therapy for major liver resection: A multicentre randomized controlled trial. Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2019; 45: 45-53.
- Weinberg L, Mackley L, Ho A, Mcguigan S, Ianno D, Yii M, Banting J, Muralidharan V, Tan CO, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Impact of a goal directed fluid therapy algorithm on postoperative morbidity in patients undergoing open right hepatectomy: a single centre retrospective observational study. BMC Anesthesiol. 2019; 19(1): 135.
- Wang K, Huynh N, Wang X, Pajic M, Parkin A, Man J, Baldwin GS,Nikfarjam M, He H. PAK inhibition by PF-3758309 enhanced the sensitivity of multiple chemotherapeutic reagents in patient-derived pancreatic cancer cell lines. Am J Transl Res. 2019; 11(6): 3353-64.
- Wang K, Baldwin GS, Nikfarjam M, He H. Antitumour effects of all-trans retinoic acid and its synergism with gemcitabine are associated with down-regulation of p21-activated kinases in pancreatic cancer. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2019; 316(5): G632-40.
- Sharafi G, He H, Nikfarjam M. Potential use of cannabinoids for the treatment of pancreatic cancer. J Pancreat Cancer. 2019; 5(1): 1-7.
- Vennin C, Mélénec P, Rouet R, Nobis M, Cazet AS, Murphy KJ, Herrmann D, Reed DA, Lucas MC, Warren SC, Elgundi Z, Pinese M, Kalna G, Roden D, Samuel M, Zaratzian A, Grey ST, Da Silva A, Leung W; Australian Pancreatic Genome Initiative (APGI), Timpson P. CAF hierarchy driven by pancreatic cancer cell p53-status creates a pro-metastatic and chemoresistant environment via perlecan. Nat Commun. 2019; 10(1): 3637.
- Lee B, Lipton L, Cohen J, Tie J, Javed AA, Li L, Goldstein D, Burge M, Cooray P, Nagrial A, Tebbutt NC, Thomson B,Nikfarjam M, Harris M, Haydon A, Lawrence B, Tai DWM, Simons K, Lennon AM, Wolfgang CL, Tomasetti C, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Gibbs P. Circulating tumor DNA as a potential marker of adjuvant chemotherapy benefit following surgery for localized pancreatic cancer. Ann Oncol. 2019; 30(9): 1472-8.
- Lau DK, Mouradov D, Wasenang W, Luk IY, Scott CM, Williams DS, Yeung YH, Limpaiboon T, Iatropoulos GF, Jenkins LJ, Reehorst CM, Chionh F, Nikfarjam M, Croagh D, Dhillon AS, Weickhardt AJ, Muramatsu T, Saito Y, Tebbutt NC, Sieber OM, Mariadason JM. Genomic profiling of biliary tract cancer cell lines reveals molecular subtypes and actionable drug targets. iScience. 2019; 21: 624-37.
- Cosic L, Ma R, Churilov L, Debono D,Nikfarjam M, Christophi C, Weinberg L. The financial impact of postoperative complications following liver resection. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98(27): e16054.
- Cosic L, Ma R, Churilov L,Nikfarjam M, Christophi C, Weinberg L. Health economic implications of postoperative complications following liver resection surgery: a systematic review. ANZ J Surg. 2019; 89(12): 1561-6.
- Chan J, Bradshaw L, Houli N, Weinberg L, Perini MV, Fink M, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Jones R, Wang BZ, Christophi C,Nikfarjam M. Outcomes of central hepatectomy versus extended hepatectomy. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2019; 18(3): 249-254.
- Maharaj AD, Holland JF, Scarborough RO, Evans SM, Ioannou LJ, Brown W, Croagh DG, Pilgrim CHC, Kench JG, Lipton LR, Leong T, McNeil JJ, Nikfarjam M, Aly A, Burton PR, Cashin PA, Chu J, Duong CP, Evans P, Goldstein D, Haydon A, Hii MW, Knowles BPF, Merrett ND, Michael M, Neale RE, Philip J, Porter IWT, Smith M, Spillane J, Tagkalidis PP, Zalcberg JR.The Upper Gastrointestinal Cancer Registry (UGICR): a clinical quality registry to monitor and improve care in upper gastrointestinal cancers. BMJ Open. 2019; 9(9): e031434.
- Maharaj AD, Ioannou L, Croagh D, Zalcberg J, Neale RE, Goldstein D, Merrett N, Kench JG, White K, Pilgrim CHC, Chantrill L, Cosman P, Kneebone A, Lipton L, Nikfarjam M, Philip J, Sandroussi C, Tagkalidis P, Chye R, Haghighi KS, Samra J, Evans SM. Monitoring quality of care for patients with pancreatic cancer: a modified Delphi consensus. HPB (Oxford). 2019; 21(4): 444-55.
- Cox DRA, Fong J, Liew CH, Goh SK, Yeoh M, Fink MA, Jones RM, Mukkadayil J, Nikfarjam M, Perini MV, Rumler G, Starkey G, Christophi C, Muralidharan V. Emergency presentations of acute biliary pain: changing patterns of management in a tertiary institute. ANZ J Surg. 2018; 88(12): 1337-42.
- Wang K, Baldwin GS, Nikfarjam M, He H. p21-activated kinase signalling in pancreatic cancer: New insights into tumour biology and immune modulation. World J Gastroenterol. 2018; 24(33): 3709-23.
- Lee NH, Nikfarjam M, He H. Functions of the CXC ligand family in the pancreatic tumor microenvironment. Pancreatology. 2018; 18(7): 705-16.
- Nadebaum DP, Lee ST, Nikfarjam M, Scott AM. Metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma demonstrating intense uptake on 68Ga-DOTATATE positron emission tomography: Three case reports and a review of the literature. World J Nucl Med. 2018; 17(3): 195-7.
- Wang K, Huynh N, Wang X, Baldwin G, Nikfarjam M, He H. Inhibition of p21 activated kinase enhances tumour immune response and sensitizes pancreatic cancer to gemcitabine. Int J Oncol. 2018; 52(1): 261-9.
- Wang J, Ma R, Eleftheriou P, Churilov L, Debono D, Robbins R, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C, Weinberg L. Health economic implications of complications associated with pancreaticoduodenectomy at a University Hospital: a retrospective cohort cost study. HPB (Oxford). 2018; 20(5): 423-31.
- Chan J, Perini M, Fink M, Nikfarjam M. The outcomes of central hepatectomy versus extended hepatectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. HPB (Oxford). 2018; 20(6): 487-96.
- Kim SY, Fink MA, Perini M, Houli N, Weinberg L, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Jones RM, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M. Age 80 years and over is not associated with increased morbidity and mortality following pancreaticoduodenectomy. ANZ J Surg. 2018; 88(5): e445-50.
- Wang J, Ma R, Churilov L, Eleftheriou P, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C, Weinberg L. The cost of perioperative complications following pancreaticoduodenectomy: A systematic review. Pancreatology. 2018; 18(2): 208-20.
- Weinberg L, Banting J, Churilov L, McLeod RL, Fernandes K, Chao I, Ho T, Ianno D, Liang V, Muralidharan V, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M. The effect of a surgery-specific cardiac output-guided haemodynamic algorithm on outcomes in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy in a high-volume centre: a retrospective comparative study. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2017; 45(5): 569-80.
- Weinberg L, Ianno D, Churilov L, Chao I, Scurrah N, Rachbuch C, Banting J, Muralidharan V, Story D, Bellomo R, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M. Restrictive intraoperative fluid optimisation algorithm improves outcomes in patients undergoing pancreaticoduodenectomy: A prospective multicentre randomized controlled trial. PLoS One. 2017; 12(9): e0183313.
- Issa Y, van Santvoort HC, Fockens P, Besselink MG, Bollen TL, Bruno MJ, Boermeester MA; Collaborators incl: Nikfarjam M. Diagnosis and treatment in chronic pancreatitis: an international survey and case vignette study. HPB (Oxford). 2017; 19(11): 978-85.
- Nikfarjam M, Wilson JS, Smith RC; Australasian Pancreatic Club Pancreatic Enzyme Replacement Therapy Guidelines Working Group. Med J Aust. 2017; 207(4): 161-5.
- Yeung Y, Lau DK, Chionh F, Tran H, Tse JWT, Weickhardt AJ, Nikfarjam M, Scott AM, Tebbutt NC, Mariadason JM. K-Ras mutation and amplification status is predictive of resistance and high basal pAKT is predictive of sensitivity to everolimus in biliary tract cancer cell lines. Mol Oncol. 2017; 11(9): 1130-1142.
- Huynh N, Wang K, Yim M, Dumesny CJ, Sandrin MS, Baldwin GS, Nikfarjam M, He H. Depletion of p21-activated kinase 1 up-regulates the immune system of APC∆14/+ mice and inhibits intestinal tumorigenesis. BMC Cancer. 2017;17(1): 431.
- Balachandran VP, Łuksza M, Zhao JN, Makarov V, Moral JA, Remark R, Herbst B, Askan G, Bhanot U, Senbabaoglu Y….. Nikfarjam M…. S, Iacobuzio-Donahue CA, Wolchok JD, DeMatteo RP, Chan TA, Greenbaum BD, Merghoub T, Leach SD. Identification of unique neoantigen qualities in long-term survivors of pancreatic cancer. Nature. 2017; 551(7681): 512-6.
- Kim SY, Weinberg L, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M. The outcomes of the pancreaticoduodenectomy in patients aged 80 or older. A systematic review and meta-analysis. HPB (Oxford). 2017; 19(6): 475-82.
- Yeo D, Phillips P, Baldwin GS, He H, Nikfarjam M. Inhibition of group 1 p21-activated kinases suppresses pancreatic stellate cell activation and increases survival of mice with pancreatic cancer. Int J Cancer. 2017; 140(9): 2101-11.
- Gandy RC, Barbour AP, Samra J, Nikfarjam M, Haghighi K, Kench JG, Saxena P, Goldstein D. Refining the care of patients with pancreatic cancer: the AGITG Pancreatic Cancer Workshop consensus. Med J Aust. 2016; 204(11): 419-22.
- Bailey P, Chang DK, Nones K, Johns AL, Patch AM, Gingras MC, Miller DK, Christ AN, Bruxner TJ, Quinn MC, Nourse C, Murtaugh LC, Harliwong I, Idrisoglu S, Manning S, Nourbakhsh E, …Nikfarjam M…, Gill AJ, Gibbs RA, Pearson JV, Waddell N, Biankin AV, Grimmond SM. Genomic analyses identify molecular subtypes of pancreatic cancer. Nature. 2016; 531(7592): 47-52.
- Fernandes K, McLeod RL, Nikfarjam M, Weinberg L. Intraoperative analysis of cross-talk inhibition between diaphragmatic and cardiac pacemakers. BMJ Case Rep. 2016; 2016: bcr2015213992.
- Working Party of the Australasian Pancreatic Club; Smith RC, Smith SF, Wilson J, Pearce C, Wray N, Vo R, Chen J, Ooi CY, Oliver M, Katz T, Turner R, Nikfarjam M, Rayner C, Horowitz M, Holtmann G, Talley N, Windsor J, Pirola R, Neale R. Summary and recommendations from the Australasian guidelines for the management of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency. Pancreatology. 2016;16(2):164-80.
- Weinberg L, Broad J, Pillai P, Chen G, Nguyen M, Eastwood GM, Scurrah N, Nikfarjam M, Story D, McNicol L, Bellomo R. Sodium bicarbonate infusion in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation: a single centre randomized controlled pilot trial. Clin Transplant. 2016; 30(5): 556-65.
- Yeo D, Huynh N, Beutler JA, Baldwin GS, He H, Nikfarjam M. Glaucarubinone combined with gemcitabine improves pancreatic cancer survival in an immunocompetent orthotopic murine model. J Invest Surg. 2016; 29(6): 366-72.
- Yeo D, He H, Patel O, Lowy A, Baldwin G, Nikfarjam M. FRAX597, a PAK1 inhibitor, synergistically reduces pancreatic cancer growth when combined with gemcitabine. BMCcancer. 2016; 16: 24.
- Adams J, Marbini HD, Nikfarjam M, Howard M, Atkins N, Story D. Anesthesia for inserting diaphragmatic pacing for motor neurone disease (Two Case Reports)," Adv Anesthesiol 2016 (in Press).
- Chandrasegaram M, Goldstein D, Simes J, Gebski V, Kench J, Gill A. Samra J, Merrett N, Richardson A, Barbour A, Fawcett J, Grimison P , Christophi C, Padbury R, Haghighi K, Chen, Nikfarjam M, O'Rourke N, Spry N. Meta-analysis of radical resection rates and margin assessment in pancreatic cancer. Br J Surg. 2015; 102(12): 1459-72.
- Weinberg L, Pearce B, Sullivan R, Siu L, Scurrah N, Tan C, Backstrom M, Nikfarjam M, McNicol L, Story D, Christophi C, Bellomo R. The effects of plasmalyte-148 vs. Hartmann’s solution during major liver resection: a multicentre, double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Minerva Anestesiol. 2015; 81(12) 1288-97.
- Lau L, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M, Starkey G, Goodwin M, Weinberg L, Ho L, Muralidharan V. Assessment of liver remnant using ICG clearance intraoperatively during vascular exclusion: early experience with the ALIIVE technique. HPB Surg. 2015; 2015: 757052.
- Weinberg L, Spanger M, Tan C, Nikfarjam M.Postoperative wristwatch-induced compressive neuropathy of the hand: a case report.J Med Case Rep. 2015; 9:141.
- Chen H, Teague J, Weinberg L, Nikfarjam M. Diffuse pancreatic mucinous cystic neoplasm treated by total pancreatectomy. JOP. 2015; 16(3): 295-8.
- Weinberg L, Peake B, Tan C, Nikfarjam M. Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of lignocaine: a review. World J Anesthesiol. 2015; 4(2): 17-29.
- Waddell N, Pajic M, Patch AM, Chang DK, Kassahn KS, Bailey P, Johns AL, Miller D, Nones K, Quek K, Quinn MC, …Nikfarjam M… Pearson JV, Biankin AV, Grimmond SM. Whole genomes redefine the mutational landscape of pancreatic cancer. Nature. 2015; 518(7540): 495-501.
- Bhandari R, Riddiough G, Lokan J, Weinberg L, Efthymiou M, Nikfarjam M. Somatostatinoma of the minor papilla treated by local excision in a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1.JOP. 2015; 16(1): 81-4.
- Iorgulescu DG, Ling S, Nikfarjam M, Fink MA, Jones R, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Christophi C. Results of pancreatic resection associated with portal vein resection in an Australian tertiary care centre. ANZ J Surg. 2015; 85(4): 270-3.
- Yeo D, He H, Baldwin G, Nikfarjam M. The role of p21-activated kinase in pancreatic cancer. Pancreas. 2015; 44(3):363-9.
- Dudi-Venkata NN, Houli N, Weinberg L, Nikfarjam M. Laparoscopic partial splenectomy performed by monopolar saline-cooled radiofrequency coagulation.J Laparoendosc Adv SurgTech A. 2014; 24(7): 502-5.
- Weinberg L, Faulkner M, Tan CO, Liu DH, Tay S, Nikfarjam M, Peyton P, Story D. Fluid prescription practices of anesthesiologists managing patients undergoing elective colonoscopy: an observational study.BMC Res Notes. 2014; 7: 356.
- Cho HJ, Robinson ES, Rivera LR, McMillan PJ, Testro A, Nikfarjam M, Bravo DM, Furness JB. Glucagon-like peptide 1 and peptide YY are in separate storage organelles in enteroendocrine cells.Cell Tissue Res. 2014; 357(1): 63-9.
- Weinberg L, Wong D, Karalapillai D, Pearce B, Tan CO, Tay S, Christophi C, McNicol L, Nikfarjam M. The impact of fluid intervention on complications and length of hospital stay after pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple's procedure). BMC Anesthesiol. 2014; 14: 35.
- Nikfarjam M, Low N, Weinberg L, Chia PH, He H, Christophi C. Total pancreatectomy for the treatment of pancreatic neoplasms.ANZ J Surg. 2014; 84(11): 823-6.
- Christophi C, Nguyen L, Muralidharan V, Nikfarjam M, Banting, J. Lymphatics and colorectal liver metastases: the case for sentinel node mapping. HPB (Oxford). 2014; 16(2): 124-30.
- Nikfarjam M, Yeo D, Perini M, Fink M, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. Outcomes of cholecystectomy for treatment of acute cholecystitis in octogenarians. ANZ J Surg. 2014; 84(12): 943-8.
- Batabyal P, Vander Hoorn S, Christophi C, Nikfarjam M. Association of diabetes mellitus and pancreatic adenocarcinoma: a meta-analysis of 88 studies.Ann Surg Oncol. 2014; 21(7): 2453-62.
- Yeo D, Huynh N, Beutler J, Christophi C, Shulkes A, Baldwin G, Nikfarjam M, He H. Glaucarubinone and gemcitabine synergistically reduce pancreatic cancer growth via down-regulation of p21-activated kinases. Cancer Lett. 2014; 346(2): 264-72.
- Nikfarjam M, Weinberg L, Fink MA, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Jones R, Staveley-O'Carroll K, Christophi C. Pressurized pulse irrigation with saline reduces surgical-site infections following major hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery: randomized controlled trial. World J Surg. 2014; 38(2): 447-55.
- Fifis T, Nguyen L, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Chan L, Costa P, Daruwalla J, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Waltham M, Thompson EW, Christophi C. Treatment with the vascular disruptive agent OXi4503 induces an immediate and widespread epithelial to mesenchymal transition in the surviving tumor. Cancer Med. 2013; 2(5): 595-610.
- Nikfarjam M, Yeo D, He H, Baldwin G, Fifis T, Costa P, Tan B, Yang E, Wen S, Christophi C. Comparison of two syngeneic orthotopic murine models of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Invest Surg. 2013; 26(6): 352-9.
- Nikfarjam M, Shen L, Fink M, Muralidharan V, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. Percutaneous cholecystostomy for treatment of acute cholecystitis in the era of early laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2013; 23(5): 474-80.
- Weinberg L, Houli N, Nikfarjam M. Improving outcomes for pancreatic cancer: radical surgery with patient-tailored, surgery-specific advanced haemodynamic monitoring.BMJ Case Rep. 2013; 2013: bcr2013008910.
- Chandran S, Nikfarjam M. The utility of upfront double wire guided biliary cannulation technique following early unintentional pancreatic wire cannulation in patients undergoing endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Indian JGastroenterol. 2013; 32(5): 324-9.
- Nikfarjam M, Weinberg L, Lowe P, Fink M, Muralidharan V, Houli N, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. A fast track recovery program significantly reduces hospital length of stay following uncomplicated pancreaticoduodenectomy. JOP. 2013; 14(1): 63-70.
- Nikfarjam M, Harnaen, E, Tufail F, Muralidharan V, Fink MA, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. Sex differences and outcomes of management of acute cholecystitis. SurgLaparoscEndoscPercutanTech. 2013; 23(1): 61-5.
- Nikfarjam M, Hadj AK, Muralidharan V, Tebbutt N, Fink MA, Jones RM, Starkey G, Vaughan RB, Marshall A, Christophi C. Biliary stenting versus surgical bypass for palliation of periampullary malignancy. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2013; 32(2): 82-9.
- Nguyen L, Fifis T, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Chan LS, Costa PL, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Spatial morphological and molecular differences within solid tumors may contribute to the failure of vascular disruptive agent treatments. BMC Cancer. 2012; 12(1): 522.
- Tactacan CM, Chang DK, Cowley MJ, Humphrey ES, Wu J, Gill AJ, Chou A, Nones K, Grimmond SM, Sutherland RL, Biankin AV, Daly RJ, Australian Pancreatic Genome Initiative (Nikfarjam M). RON is not a prognostic marker for resectable pancreatic cancer. BMC Cancer. 2012; 12:395.
- Biankin AV, Waddell N, Kassahn KS, Gingras MC, … Nikfarjam M … McPherson JD, Gibbs RA, Grimmond SM. Pancreatic cancer genomes reveal aberrations in axon guidance pathway genes. Nature. 2012; 491(7424): 399-405.
- Pérez-Mancera PA, Rust AG, van der Weyden L, …. Nikfarjam M….. Tuveson DA. The deubiquitinase. USP9X suppresses pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Nature. 2012; 486(7402): 266-70.
- Lightfoot N, Nikfarjam M. Embryonal sarcoma of the liver in an adult patient. Case Rep Surg. 2012; 2012: 382723.
- Nikfarjam M, Houli N, Tufail F, Weinberg L, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Reduction in delayed gastric emptying following non-pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy by addition of a Braun enteroenterostomy. JOP. 2012; 13(5): 488-96.
- Nikfarjam M, Manya K, Fink M, Hadj A, Muralidharan, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. Outcomes of patients with histologically proven acute acalculous cholecystitis. ANZ J Surg. 2012; 82(12): 918-22.
- Nikfarjam M, Frias-Kletecka C, Hardacre J. Educating and imaging. Gastrointestinal: duodenal tumour and cutaneous skin lesions. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 27(2): 414.
- Rowe D, Nikfarjam M. Cystic duct clip migration into the common bile duct. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012; 31(2): 86.
- Hadj AK, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Lymphatic patterns of colorectal liver metastases. J Surg Res. 2012; 173(2): 292-8.
- Hadj AK, Goodwin M, Schwalb H, Nikfarjam M. Pseudoaneurysm of the hepatic artery. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011; 15(10): 1899-901.
- Lin WX, Fifis T, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Nguyen L, Christophi C. Induction of Th1Immune responses following laser ablation in a murine model of colorectal liver metastases. J Transl Med. 2011; 9: 83.
- Lightfoot N, Santos P, Nikfarjam M. Paraganglioma mimicking a pancreatic neoplasm. JOP. 2011; 12(3): 259-61.
- Nikfarjam M, Niumsawatt V, Sethu A, Fink M, Muralidharan, Starkey G, Jones R, Christophi C. Outcomes of contemporary management of gangrenous and non-gangrenous acute cholecystitis. HPB Surg. 2011; 13(8): 551-8.
- Fifis T, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Amidjojo J, Angonno, B, Muralidharan V, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Changes in growth factor levels following thermal ablation in a murine model of colorectal liver metastases. HPB (Oxford). 2011; 13(4): 246-55.
- Hadj AK, Goodwin M, Schwalb H, Nikfarjam M. Pseudoaneurysm of the hepatic artery. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011; 15(10): 1899-901.
- Lai J, Crowley C, Nikfarjam M. Concurrent lymphoma and pancreatic adenocarcinoma. JOP. 2011; 12(2): 185-9.
- Nikfarjam M, Story A, Nunn A, Howard M. Direct diaphragmatic pacing. ANZ J Surg. 2011; 81(7-8): 496-8.
- Trunzo JA, Poulose BK, McGee MF, Nikfarjam M, Schomisch SJ, Onders RP, Jin J, Chak A, Ponsky JL, Marks JM. The diagnostic efficacy of natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: is there a role in the intensive care unit? Surg Endosc. 2010; 24(10): 2485-91.
- Daruwalla J, Nikfarjam M, Greish K, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Muralidharan V, Christophi C, Maeda H. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of tumor targeting styrene-maleic acid copolymer-pirarubicin micelles: survival improvement and inhibition of liver metastases. Cancer Sci. 2010; 101(8): 1866-74.
- Kohn GP, Nikfarjam M The effect of surgical volume and the provision of residency and fellowship training on complications of major hepatic resection. J Gastrointest Surg. 2010; 14(12): 1981-9.
- Nikfarjam M. Pylorus preserving pancreaticoduodenectomy. Saudi J Gastroenterol 2010; 16(2): 65.
- Story A, Mariampillai E, Nikfarjam M, Howard M, Onders R. Anaesthetic aspects of implanting diaphragmatic pacing in patients with spinal cord injury. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2010; 38(4): 740-3.
- Nikfarjam M, Faulx A, Laughinghouse M, Marks M. Feasibility of radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of chronic radiation proctitis. Surg Innov. 2010; 17(2): 92-4.
- Nikfarjam M, McGee MF, Trunzo JA, Onders MD RP, Pearl JP, Poulose BK, Chak A, Ponsky JL, Marks JM. Transgastric natural-orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery peritoneoscopy in humans: a pilot study in efficacy and gastrotomy site selection by using a hybrid technique. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72(2):279-83.
- Nikfarjam M, Onders RP, Marks JM. Duct of Luschka. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2010; 3(2): 97-8.
- Nikfarjam M, Kimchi ET, Gusani, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Complete surgical resection of giant mucinous hepatic cystadenomas. Am Surg. 2010; 76(5): e17-9.
- Avella D, Garcia L, Gusani NJ, Nikfarjam M, Shereef S, Kimchi ET, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Human acellular dermal matrix: an innovative tool for diaphragmatic reconstruction in patients with large intra-abdominal tumors. Am J Surg. 2010; 199(1): e12-6.
- Trunzo JA, McGee MF, Cavazzola LT, Schomisch S, Nikfarjam M, Bailey J, Mishra T, Poulose BK, Lee YJ, Ponsky JL, Marks JM. Peritoneal inflammatory response of natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) versus laparoscopy with carbon dioxide and air pneumoperitoneum. Surg Endosc. 2010; 24(7): 1727-36.
- Nikfarjam M, Champagne B, Reynolds HL, Poulose BK, Ponsky JL, Marks JM. Acute management of stoma-related colocutaneous fistula by temporary placement of a self-expanding plastic stent. Surg Inno. 2009; 16(3): 270-3.
- NikfarjamM, Rosen M, Todd Ponsky MD. Early management of traumatic pancreatic transection by spleen-preserving laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy. J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44(2): 455-8.
- Nikfarjam M, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Kimchi ET, Hardacre JM. Pancreaticoduodenectomy in patients with a history of Roux-en Y gastric bypass surgery. JOP. 2009; 10(2): 169-73.
- Nikfarjam M, Kimchi ET, Gusani NJ, Avella DM, Shereef S, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Reduction of surgical site infections by use of pulsatile lavage irrigation device after prolonged intra-abdominal operative procedures. Am J Surg. 2009; 198(3): 381-6.
- Kimchi ET, Nikfarjam M, Gusani NJ, Avella DM, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Combined pancreatico-duodenectomy and extended right hemicolectomy: outcomes and indications. HPB (Oxford). 2009; 11(7): 559-64.
- Nikfarjam M, Sehmbey M, Kimchi ET, Gusani NJ, Shereef S, Avella DM, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Additional organ resection combined with pancreaticoduodenectomy does not increase post-operative morbidity and mortality. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13(9): 1674-82.
- Cherenfant J, Nikfarjam M, Mathew A, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Completion pancreatectomy for treatment of a Clostridium perfringens pancreatic infection. Arch Surg. 2009; 144(4): 368-70.
- Nikfarjam M, Kimchi ET, Gusani NJ, Shah SM, Sehmbey M, Shereef S, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. A reduction in delayed gastric emptying by classic pancreaticoduodenectomy and with an antecolic gastrojejunal anastomosis and a retrogastric omental patch. J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13(9): 1674-82.
- Choudry HA, Nikfarjam M, Liang J, Kimchi ET, Conter R, Gusani NJ, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Diagnosis and management of retroperitoneal ancient schwannomas. World J Surg Oncol. 2009; 7: 12.
- Nikfarjam M, Shereef S, Kimchi ET, Gusani NJ, Jiang Y, Avella D, Mahraj R, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Survival outcomes of patients with colorectal liver metastases following hepatic resection or ablation in the era of effective chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009; 16(7): 1860-7.
- Nikfarjam M, Gusani NJ, Kimchi ET, Mahraj RP, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Combined right nephrectomy and pancreaticoduodenectomy – indications and outcomes. J Pancreas. 2008; 9(4): 449-55.
- Jiang Y, Lee M, Montero AJ, Kimchi ET, Nikfarjam M, Staveley-O’Carroll KF. Optimizing imatinib mesylate in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Gastrointest Cancer Res. 2008; 2(5): 245-50.
- Nikfarjam M, Kimchi E, Shereef S, Gusani NJ, Jiang Y, Liang J, Sehmbey M, Staveley-O'Carroll KF. Surgical outcomes of patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors in the era of targeted drug therapy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2008; 12(11): 2023-31.
- Nikfarjam M, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Gusani NJ, Kimchi E. Educating and imaging. Hepatobiliary and pancreatic: isolated pancreatic metastases. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23(7 Pt 1): 1161.
- Low S, Strugnell N, NikfarjamM. Ischaemic colitis associated with colonicl carcinoma. ANZ J Surg. 2008; 78(4): 319-21.
- Malcontenti-Wilson C, Chan L, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Vascular targeting agent Oxi4503 inhibits tumor growth of colorectal liver metastases in a murine model. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 23(7 Pt 2): e96-104.
- Nikfarjam M, Warshaw AL, Axelrod, L, Deshpande V, Thayer SP, Ferrone CR, Fernández-del Castillo C. Improved contemporary surgical management of insulinomas: a 25-year experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Ann Surg. 2008; 247(1): 165-72.
- Daruwalla J, Greish K, Nikfarjam M, Millar I, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Iyer AK, Christophi C. Evaluation of the effect of SMA-pirarubicin micelles on colorectal cancer liver metastases and of hyperbaric oxygen in CBA mice. J Drug Target. 2007; 15(7): 487-95.
- Nikfarjam M, Cuthbertson CM, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Muralidharan V, Millar I, Christophi C. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy reduces severity and improves survival in severe acute pancreatitis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2007;11(8): 1008-15.
- Christophi C, Millar I, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy of the treatment of acute severe pancreatitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 22(11): 2042-6.
- Harun N, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Liver regeneration stimulates tumour metastases. J Surg Res. 2007; 138(2): 284-90.
- Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Altered growth patterns of colorectal liver metastases following focal hyperthermia ablation. Surgery. 2006; 139(1): 73-81.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Impact of blood flow occlusion on liver necrosis following focal hyperthermia. ANZ J Surg. 2006; 76(1-2): 84-91.
- Cherk M, Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Retroperitoneal lymphangioma. Asian J Surg. 2006; 29(1): 51-4.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. The management of liver tumours by percutaneous interstitial laser thermotherapy. Emirates Medical Journal. 2005; 23(2): 109-17. Invited Review.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Progressive microvascular injury in normal liver and colorectal liver metastases following focal hyperthermia therapy. Lasers Surg Med. 2005; 37(1): 64-73.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Patterns of Heat Shock Protein (HSP 70) expression and Kupffer Cell activity following focal hyperthermia treatment of colorectal liver metastases. J Hyperthermia. 2005; 21(4): 319-32.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. The apoptotic response of liver and colorectal liver metastases to focal hyperthermic injury. Anticancer Res. 2005; 25(2B): 1413-9.
- Darawalla J, Nikfarjam M., Malcontenti-Wilson C, Christophi C. Effect of thalidomide on colorectal cancer liver metastases in a murine model. J Surg Oncol. 2005; 91(2): 134-40.
- Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Mechanisms of focal heat destruction of liver tumors. J Surgical Res. 2005; 127(2): 208-23.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. A comparison of 980 and 1064 nm wavelength lasers for treatment of colorectal liver metastases. Photomedicine Laser Surg. 2005; 23(3): 284-8.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Focal hyperthermia produces progressive tumor necrosis independent of the initial thermal effects. J Gastrointest Surg. 2005; 9(3): 410-7.
- Nikfarjam M, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Fanartzis M, Daruwalla J, Christophi C. A model of partial hepatectomy in mice. J Invest Surg. 2004; 17(5): 291-4.
- Christophi C, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V. Long term survival of patients with colorectal liver metastases treated by Interstitial Laser thermotherapy. World J Surg. 2004;28(10): 987-94.
- Katz D, Nikfarjam M, Sfakiotaki A, Christophi C. Selective endoscopic cholangiography for the detection of common bile duct stones in patients with cholelithiasis. Endoscopy. 2004; 36(12): 1045-9.
- Nikfarjam M, Evans P, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Not all hepatic carcinoids are metastases. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 19(2): 232-3.
- Muralidharan V, Nikfarjam M, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Christophi C. Effect of interstitial laser hyperthermia in a murine model of colorectal liver metastases: scanning electron microscopic study. World J Surg. 2004; 28(1): 33-7.
- Nikfarjam M, Evans P, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Primary hepatic carcinoid tumours. HPB(Oxford). 2004; 6(1): 13-7.
- Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Christophi C. Scanning electron microscopy study of the blood supply of human colorectal liver metastases. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003; 29(10): 856-61.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Interstitial laser thermotherapy for liver tumours Br J Surg. 2003; 90(9): 1033-47.
- Nikfarjam M, Christophi C. Internal hernia traversing the lesser sac. Ann Coll Surg HK. 2003; 7: 99-102.
- Nightingale S, Nikfarjam M, Djeric M. Small bowel diverticular disease complicated by perforation. ANZ Journal of Surgery2003; 73(10): 867-9.
- Nikfarjam M, Evans P, Christophi C. Pancreatic resection for metastatic melanoma. HPBSurg. 2003; 3: 174-9.
- Christophi C, Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Dudley F. Bile duct cancer in HLA identical twins. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003; 18(4): 469-72.
- Muralidharan V, Nikfarjam M, Malcontenti-Wilson C, Christophi C. Interstitial laser hyperthermia and the biological characteristics of tumor: study in a murine model of colorectal liver metastases. J Clin Laser Med Surg. 2003; 21(2): 75-83.
- Nikfarjam M, Mclean C, Muralidharan V, Christophi C. Neuroendocrine tumours of the Ampulla of Vater. ANZ J Surg. 2002; 72(7): 531-3.
- Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, Christophi C, Tang H, Clouston D. Autoimmune pancreatitis. ANZ J Surg. 2002; 72(6): 450-2.
- Nikfarjam M, Muralidharan V, McLean C, Christophi C. Local resection of ampullary adenocarcinomas of the duodenum. ANZ J Surg. 2001; 71(9): 529-33.
Books and Book Chapters
- Burnett D, Nikfarjam M. Pancreatic cancer. Smith Textbook of Surgery 4th edition 2019. (book)
- Hadj A, Nikfarjam M. Post-Procedural Considerations: Standard patient recovery practices & Identification of post-procedural complications Principles of Flexible Endoscopy 2013.
- Nikfarjam M, Marks J. Future of NOTES. Cameron’s Textbook of Surgery 2010.
- Nikfarjam M, Ponsky J. Endoluminal treatments for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Cameron’s Textbook of Surgery 2010.
- Nikfarjam M, Ponsky J. Atlas of the Pancreas. Chapter 7. Endoluminal approaches to pancreatic pseudocyst. American College of Surgeons. 2009.
- Nikfarjam M. The Effect of laser induced thermal ablation on liver tumors. Publisher: VDM Verlag (July) 2008.